New Staff Timesheeting System / Attendance Recording
Another vote from me on the importance of a decent Timesheeting system. It seems some developers (not saying you guys/gals) don’t understand the different between the Roster (“the plan”) and the Timesheet (“the actual record”). Managing both is equally important. And accuracy and visibility of what is going on makes for a great system.
So I’d like to see a page that the staff (and owners / managers) access for timesheets.
On this page it would show a table with 3 things.
• Rostered start/finish times by shift (morning / afternoon / optional evening) / lunch and break (if applicable) start and finish times.
• Clock in right to the side of each of those times to record in REAL TIME when they clock in / out (NOT editable by staff or manager access)
• Adjusted time (by default this is the clock-in or out time (rounded preferably) – but CAN be edited by staff or manager access). So when the staff forget to clock in / out in real time and they do it “later” they can correct the time to advise when they actually started / finished a shift.
Additional information would include
• Hourly Rate (for each day as some pay rates are different on different days – normally Saturdays / Sundays have different Pay Rates (optional). This may be recorded on the staff details page – not hear on the timesheet – but it is great for reporting on later (cost of staff vs performance / income / KPI analysis).
• Calculation of Shift hours worked, daily hours worked and weekly hours totals. All based on the “Adjusted Time” recorded. This is ultimately what is being reported by the staff and I personally randomly check this against security camera recordings if I suspect inaccuracy / lying.
• Break times. Normally just lunch is needed but would be great if optional “additional breaks” could be added by staff if they have to “duck out” for a while – or staff on longer shifts or more than 2 shifts a day and additional meal breaks need to be recorded.
What this does is show everything and record everything that BOTH the employer and employee wish to see. “The Planned times”, “the actual clock in/out times” and “they should have been updated adjusted times”
I could design a layout if you’d like me to. But your software design overall has been so great you may prefer to design your own and not be “bothered” by me here. In my mind it would be a weekly view of the rostered Days and Dates with 1st shift (morning) Start and End time / Lunch start and end times / and 2nd shift Start and End times (just like a traditional timesheet). With the addition of “Clock / In Out action buttons (not sure best placement of these) Maybe beside each rostered shift time to record against that rostered time – then beside that would be an “actual box” that would appear to manually select or enter the time the staff wish to record.
Also a Tick box at the top of the page somewhere “Round time to nearest “5 / 10 / 15” minutes”. This would automatically record a rounded start time in the “actual” time field which is editable by the staff. Recording whether rounding should be to the nearest 5/10 or 15 minutes could be specified in the management setting page for staff (or in the staff management page and then each staff could be rounded according to pay needs as an employer may require (depending on if staff is contract / casual, part or full time)
Reporting – And finally integrating some of this newly captured data into new or existing reports makes this information more helpful to owners. Ability to run a “Staff Performance Report” showing a daily / weekly / monthly breakdown of hours worked / staff costs (based on their hourly rate including Saturday and Sunday rates) and their earnings made on both services and products and combined is very powerful and I’d love to see eventually also.